GS1 Rekisteri - Storing previously deployed codes
Make a list of used GTIN-codes
Collect all the GTINs already used with product information from your current systems and, for example, from lists stored on paper and in an Excel file. Also list any batch or pallet codes you have used. All GTINs are still usable, but now they have to be stored in the GS1 Rekisteri.
- Products currently on sale are stored in the register as active.
- Codes previously used, now codes for discontinued products, are stored in the register as inactive.
- Variable length codes (starting 23-25) are not stored in Rekisteri.
If you have generated GLN numbers, collect all information about these as well.
If historical data is not fully available on the use of old codes:
- Store all currently used (= active) product codes in GS1 Rekisteri. For discontinued product codes (= passive) at least the codes generated from the beginning of 2015 must be stored in GS1 Rekisteri.
- The re-use of GTINs has been banned since the beginning of 2019. Prior to that, the use of codes that had been inactive for more than four years was allowed.
Store all used GTIN codes in the GS1 Rekisteri
GTIN codes can be active, inactive or draft in the system. You need to enter the following information
1. Information on products currently on sale are stored as active. You need the following information:
- GTIN code
- GPC class
- Is the product a retail product, a transport package or a pallet?
- Is the product sold to the end user, is it a consumer unit?
- Brand name
- Product name
- Net content
- Product image (optional)
2. Discontinued products are stored as inactive. For these products you have two options:
- The minimum requirement is to store the GTINs of the products and set the status of the product to inactive
- If you wish, you can also give them all the requested product information and set the status to inactive. If necessary, the product can later be made active.
3. GTINs that are already reserved for a product but the product is not yet for sale are stored in draft mode.
Follow these steps to save your information:
- The codes can be saved manually one by one. Start saving the new code in the GTINs section with the Create GTIN button. Select Enter manually as the creation method, as the desired GTIN is already known in advance. Pictorial instructions for manually entering the GTIN code can be found on a separate help page.
- Larger quantities can be saved using an Excel file. The required data is entered in the correct columns in the Excel template that is downloaded from the system. You will find pictorial instructions on how to use the Excel file on a separate page.
If you have generated GLN numbers from your GS1 Company Prefix, collect and store the data in the GS1 Rekisteri as well.
Start generating new codes in GS1 Rekisteri
Once all previously implemented codes have been stored in the GS1 Rekisteri, you can start creating new codes.